Sunday, April 18, 2010

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs - Part Three


In the summer of 1964, I worked as a clerk in the Emergency Department at the Montreal Children’s Hospital. I was a university student at the time and this was a great job! What stands out for me is the day I had an opportuntiy to observe a medical procedure.

I became quite friendly with one of the doctors and expressed an interest in observing a medical procedure when possible. One morning he invited me in to watch while he attended to a child who had fallen and needed a few stitches to his chin. I found it very interesting! I watched as he gently calmed the crying child, froze the area with a little needle, cleaned the wound thoroughly, and then closed it with four stitches. He covered the stitches with a bandage and sent the little guy and his mother on their way. I thanked him for the opportunity; I told him that it was absolutely fascinating!

And then I fainted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment