Friday, February 26, 2010

Where is Dorothy?

Dear Dorothy,

You arrived in Montreal from Czechoslovakia
in 1952, with your parents and your younger brother, George. You spoke no English. The teacher asked me to be your ‘buddy’ because we were on the same school bus. We quickly became best friends.

Remember the red door? My apartment building and yours were separated by just one building, and it had a red door.

The school bus would drop us off on Barclay Avenue across from Kent Park, and we’d each run home. The minute we were inside I'd phone you, or you'd phone me. “Meet me at the Red Door!” And we would. Right away.

And sometimes you'd come over to my apartment. My older brother loved it when you came over; you were my first friend to have develped breasts.

I miss you, Dorothy Gross. Meet me at the red door.

1 comment: