Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My ‘Hood Part Four



The Edgars
Margaret and her husband had two children when they moved to Rand Avenue. Over the next number of years they adopted three more. Their adopted children were of mixed race. Margaret was the founder of an organization called The Open Door Society, whose purpose was to encourage mixed-race adoptions. This was the 50’s, remember! 



Margaret and her husband didn’t go out much, but when they did, I babysat for the children. The thing I loved most about babysitting for them, was looking through ‘The Albums’, after the children had gone to bed. You see, Margaret made an album for each child, documenting their arrival into the family, and their early years. I was in awe of these people! I was 14 at the time and I made a decision -- that one day I would adopt a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment